These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Printing Problems After Updating to Acrobat 9.4.2

lkassuba
ExpertTeam

If you are experiencing any issues with printing to an HP printer after updating to Acrobat 9.4.2 here are some temporary suggestions from Atul Agarwal and Atanu Dhar of Adobe Systems.

Quote:

If you are facing an issue of print not working on Acrobat 9.4.2 on HP printers. Please follow the workarounds mentioned below:

We realize the importance of the issue and hence we are working closely to deliver a solution across to you all. Before we could provide a permanent solution/fix for this problem. You may please use the following workarounds for time being.

1) Right Click on the PDF document available on your machine and the Print gets fired on to the default printer. (To set the default printer, please go to printers & faxes and the right click on the printer of your choice and select set as the default printer)

2) Open the printer queue from Printers and Faxes and drag the PDF document in the printer queue.

3) This one seems to resolve the issue consistently. Update the Printer Driver to the latest available release. Open the PDF document in Acrobat. Launch the Print dialog and click properties button (on top right side) and the press ok to come out of the properties dialog box. Now, print the document. However, every time you re-launch the application then you may have to repeat the process of clicking the properties button and come out of it.

PS: The 3rd workaround might just work directly for certain users without even updating the printer driver due to the fact that the latest driver version might already be installed on your machine.

4) Go to the installation directory of Acrobat (i.e., C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat). Look for the file "Adobe.Acrobat.Dependencies.manifest"
Open it in a text editor like Notepad and delete the line file name="atl.dll" /. Reboot your machine after saving that file.

Be assured that a dedicated team is working hard to resolve this issue for you as soon as possible.

There is also a technical note on Printing problems|HP printers|Acrobat 9.4.2 that offers detailed solutions.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

My Product Information:
Acrobat 9.4, Windows
bkwdsarkie
I am also having this problem. The network team has updated several applications in the last few days and all at once I cannot print from PDF - the application wants to print to a file ending in .prn. Have uninstalled both Acrobat Reader and full Acrobat and reinstalled them. The full Acrobat is 9.0 and the Reader is now 9.3 but was 9.4 when I uninstalled it.

After uninstalling as an administrator on the system I am able to print directly to the printer, but as an everyday user the .pdf file wants to go to a .prn instead of going to my printer.

Trouble is that I can print Word or Excel documents just fine. There is no "Adobe.Acrobat.Dependencies.manifest" file in my c:\Program Files\Adobe areas for either Reader or full Acrobat. Please provide a fix for this. I have many 300+ page documents that I only want to print a few pages of the document.
Appreciate any help on this as quickly as possible.
the problem arises on both Dell and HP printers that are working fine with Word or other applications.
jonmkiwi
If like me you upgraded to 9.4.2 and then some time later bought a new HP printer (CP4025dn) it is even weirder - every piece of software I have (including the rest of CS5) can print to the new printer but Acrobat Pro can't: every print job vanishes without trace. (and of course 90% of what I print is from Acrobat). Reader works but not Pro. Saved by your post: drag file to the print queue worked, but only after I dealt with a "Load Plain 16k" message on the printer. What on earth is 16k? Looking forward to a long-term solution :)
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
There is a patch posted to address this issue. You can find it in the Printing problems | Acrobat 9.4.2 update technical note.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

imjustagirl