These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Audio playback in Acrobat Reader 10.1

bunzman
Answered

This problem has baffled everyone I've talked to (that knows Adobe). I have created a PDF with video and audio in acrobat 9.3 (downloadable French program for homeschool). I have tested the pages in Reader X on my mac and everything works fine. I have a customer who can open the video w/sound just fine but keeps getting an error message when she tries to click on words with embedded audio files. The message is the following:

'The media requires an additional player. Please click 'get media player' to download the correct media player. To play the media, you will need to close and restart the application once the player installation is complete.'

When she tries to get the player she get an Adobe message saying there is no player that will support this media.

I use QuickTime audio files and they convert to what ever format Reader uses in the embed process. My understanding
is that Reader has it's own built in Players. I have read that Reader X only supports Mpeg 3. But if this is the case why does it work on my Reader X for Mac and not on hers for Windows. I doubled checked this on my daughters new HP laptop and the same message pops up.

Has anyone heard od a case where teh video works and the audio doesn't?

Thanks, perplexed in Quebec, Canada

My Product Information:
Reader 10.1, Macintosh
UVSAR
Expert
Accepted Answer
The media you embedded must have been inserted with "legacy media" mode turned on in Acrobat 9 - which embeds the FILE, but leaves the playback of that file up to the operating system. Depending on the file type, there may not be any official playback software for that platform - Adobe doesn't link to every possible player, only the configurations which the operating system vendor officially supports - for example Quicktime.

If it was embedded as a "native" Rich Media annotation, it would play back in Flash Player inside Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9+, on Windows or Mac, and you'd never see that error.

With Acrobat 9 you can create native or legacy media annotations, but once embedded you can't change them.

bunzman
Thanks so much Dave ! This did indeed help. I installed QT on my daughter's PC and now the audio files work. I have told the customer to do the same. I am still baffled on legacy media mode. Is this turned on/off in preferences (multimedia (legacy) or it something that is done during the embed process? How do you actually create a native media annotation or is it even possible with
quicktime .mov audio files ? Thanks, I am a Acrobat Pro newbie and just know enough so far to be dangerous!
UVSAR
Expert
In Acrobat 9, when you place a video or sound with the Multimedia tools, you get a dialog box asking for the file - in the bottom right corner is a checkbox to embed the media in "legacy" mode. In Acrobat X you cannot create legacy media anymore, but you can still view it.

Native Rich Media can only play MP3 audio, FLV video and H.264 video, so your files need to be in that format (Acrobat X won't convert the format as part of the embedding operation).