These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Making Flash content in 9 backwards compatible with Acrobat 8.13

efos
Answered

We are developing rich media enhanced documents in Acro 9; but the client requires 8.13 compatibility. My research seems to indicate that the flash objects created by Acrobat 9 are not recognized by Acrobat 8.13. 8 supports flash, but apparently not the RMA class used to wrap it. Whatever the reason, all I know for certain is that our embedded SWFs do not function in 8.13.

This development has caused considerable panic and disarray; and it is unclear how we should proceed. We have 2 options as far as I can see:

Can Acrobat 9 embed rich media annots in their legacy ver 8 format?

If not:

Can we still get the extended/Pro/3D versions of Acrobat 8 from Adobe?

Merlin
Acrobat 9ExpertTeam
efos wrote:
Can Acrobat 9 embed rich media annots in their legacy ver 8 format?
Yes, you can use the new Flash tool or the old movie tool to do it, just clic on the blue link within the dialog box (I can't give you the item name since I'm using a localized version).

JR
efos
[i]Thank you[/i]

Never really acknowledged that blue link before; but there it is "Create legacy multimedia content..."

This is exactly what we need, thanks.
Merlin
Acrobat 9ExpertTeam
The french translated item didn't really match the original...

Sometimes translators seems to be very strange guys !

;-)
jaguarxox
So if I use the "create legacy multimedia content" link I can allow users to view an SWF demo with versions before Acrobat Reader 9? Wouldn't this still require the user's machine to have a native video player installed for them to view it? I'm confused here about what changes when I select the legacy format.

Thanks,
RD
efos
9 embeds the flash content as a RichMediaAnnot object by default.

Legacy embeds it as a Screen object, which is a completely different animal. 8.x simply doesn't know what to do with a RichMediaAnnot.

The user may still need the browser plugin for flash player to view it; I don't recall the specifics of that part.