These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Security Warning on Adobe 7.0.0

kavinimehta

We are using a fill-able/editable form downloaded from a government website. Our application calculates values and fills out the form for the user. For certain forms, and certain users, when they try to generate the form, a security warning message pops up.

The message says:
“This document contained certain rights to enable special features in Adobe Reader. This document has been changed since it was created and these rights are no longer valid. Please contact the author for the original version of this document.”

On one machine, when the help>detect and repair option was clicked, the warnings stop. And all the rights on the document were removed i.e. allowed. But the same did not work on another machine.

Can anyone tell me why this message pop-ups and what can we do to avoid it. Is it due to local settings of Adobe Reader or is it with the PDF document we are using? This message can be very intimidating for our users and we need a solution fast!!

My Product Information:
Acrobat Standard 7.0.0, Windows
tedpadova
ExpertTeam
The message appears becuase (as the message says) the PDF author enabled the form with Adobe Reader usage rights to permit Adobe Reader users to save form data and add digital signatures to the PDF file. Then the PDF was edited by someone and the usage rights were lost. As a result, the warning dialog box opens.

To prevent the dialog box from opening, the file needs to be edited in Acrobat Professional 8. Either use the Save a Copy command in Acrobat to eliminate usage rights or re-enable usage rights in the file.

ted

The author of numerous books on Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Creative Suite, and an international speaker on Adobe Acrobat, Ted Padova is a well-known PDF guru.

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
This issue was addressed in the 8.1.2 update. For more information visit the following URL:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403079&sliceId=1

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.