These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

How to enable usage rights in a dynamic form for Adobe Reader 7.0.8

shangxiao

Hi there,

I have a PDF form designed in LiveCycle Designer 8.0 which came with Acrobat 8. I've set it up with dynamic vertically resizable text fields and a flowing layout. I save the file as "Acrobat 7 (Dynamic) XML Form". I then enable the usage rights in the form. The form opens up fine in Adobe Reader 8.x.

I have some clients, for policy reasons, cannot upgrade beyond Adobe Reader 7.0.8 and they are unable to open the file.

Is there something that I'm missing here?

Thankyou,
David

My Product Information:
LiveCycle Designer, Windows
Formfingers
Despite you saving your form as version 7, because you opened it up and enabled rights with 8.0, it applies certain 8.0 functionality (like saving) "in the background" of your 7.0 form. So, when someone with only Reader 7 tries to open it....it won't.
Your clients will need to upgrade to 8.0 in order to save the information on your forms. Otherwise, they can still fill out and print their form information with 7.0, but saving their stuff is out of the question.
dk3dknight
hmm what you posted was odd, them not saving makes sence but not being able to open the form..

This sounds like user misinterpretation.

When a user opens a 8.0 acrobat user enabled form in 7.0 they get a message box that says there version is out of date and tells them certain functionalities will be disabled if they continue.

Some users interpret this to mean they cannot open the form.. that is far from it the message is a little too scary for some users, ran into that here and had to explain it to people multiple times including my boss.

They can actually tell the message box open anyway, and everything will open up like normal.

You might want to do some testing with 7 to determine exactly what the message looks like so you can offer advice to the users.

Now if the users wish to have a copy of the form for there own personal viewing, have them email you the data by throwing in a email button and have it sent to you.

Open up your acrobat pro and go to Form -> Input Data find the data hit okay and it should reproduce all the data of the form, Hit file - Print and select adobe pdf as your printer and hit okay it will ask for a new name.Wait a little bit and send that one off to the user and he will have his own copy...

Maybe not the best solution.

But consider that a free solution or potential or maybe just my 4 half cents.
(4 halfs equal 2 whole)

Chris