These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Problem with FormCalc in 8.1.2

dancer

I created a dynamic form in Adobe Designer 7 with a connection to an Access DB. After reading S. Cameron's blog, on open, I connect to the DB and insert a row using formcalc AddNew() function. I had Adobe 6.0 Reader installed.

I published and sent the form to another developer with the ODBC instructions and the form. They have only Adobe Reader 8.1.2 installed. They installed the ODBC driver to my share directory but when the open the form, they get this error:

Script failed (language is formcalc; context is xfa[0].form[0].etc...
script=Error:accessor 'xfa.sourceSet.myDB.AddNew()' is unknown.

I opened the pdf in Adobe Reader 6 and did not have this problem, although it would not let me save to the database, I could save to the form. After I installed Reader 8.1.2, I now get the same error, and in Adobe Designer 7, the PDF Preview is no longer available. I also get an error when I open Adobe Designer 7 that Adobe Reader is not installed correctly.

Is this a known problem? Also, should I and everyone else be able to open the pdf in Adobe Reader (it is a dynamic form) without having Adobe Standard or Professional installed? Thanks, Erica

My Product Information:
Reader 8.1.2, Windows
parwez
Hi All,
I am also getting the same problem. I created a form in LiveCycle designer 8.0. I made a connection to MySQL using ODBC driver(DSN). I tested the form on my PC and two other colleagues PC from the network. I installed the ODBC driver on both PC both having adobe professional 8.0 and it works fine. However. when I test the form in a PC having Adobe Reader 8.0 only, I got the following errors:
accessor ’xfa.sourceSet.dataconnections.update()’ is unknown
accessor’xfa.sourceSet.dataconnections.addNew()’ is unknown

I used the same DSN. Can you please tell me more about what I can do to solve this problem. Thanking you in advance.
Best regards,
Parwez
dancer
I have not received any replies to my question, so I do not have any insights for you. I am assuming unless I hear otherwise, that Adobe Reader cannot handle dynamic forms. So this is still an issue for us until everyone here has Adobe Professional Edition. Regards, Erica
aerokhin
Hi,

Reader can handle dynamic forms (forms that change their structure) and forms with ODBC connections but to do a connection to DB from Reader you have to reader-enable this form. If you haven't Acrobat Pro (or Reader Extension) you can download a trial from Adobe site, reader-enable and save form. After that you'll be able to use it in Reader.

Regards, Andrey
dancer
It appears to me Reader Extensions ES has to be installed in a web server environment since you have to have one of these environments:

WebSphere 6.1.0.7
WebLogic 9.2 and WebLogic 10 MP1
JBoss (only) 4.0.3 SP1 and 4.2.0

I am unable to tell if ES also works in a client/server environment, but it doesn't appear to. Are you working in a web or client/server environment? Thanks, Erica