These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Turn on Measure Tool in Reader for 25,000 PDF documents

AnnStark
Answered

I work for a city government and I have 25,000 scanned maps as PDF documents. Our users (they have Acrobat Reader) would like to be able to use the measure tool to measure distances on the maps.

From my research, it seems I need to turn on "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" in order for that tool to work in Adobe reader. Also from my research, it seems there is no way to automate, or batch process, these action for the 25,000 PDF files. There are some references on the web that LiveCycle can do this, but nothing confirmed, and when I called Adobe support they said in face, it was NOT possible to batch "enable usage rights". At. All. Period.

So... dear forum readers: Can you help me?
Remember, these are not forms. They are scanned historical parcel records. A black and white map with a scale. No OCR. Nothing fancy. Just a scanned map.

1. Do I in fact need to enable usage rights to have Adobe Reader users use the measure tool? Really? It's just a measure tool.

2. Does LiveCycle batch process this setting? (I would love for someone to actually do it and confirm the results that may have LiveCycle. I can send you a dozen PDFs to test on if you like).

3. What is LiveCycle? What does it do? I see that it is made of different software pieces and is a suite of tools. Can I purchase/use just one of those tools? Is LiveCycle Designer what I need? If not, can I order what I need stand alone? How much is it?

4. Has anyone tried Batch ReaderEnable offered here:? http://soft.rubypdf.com/software/batch-readerenable. Is this what I need (see question 1)? Does it really work? Why can't Adobe offer this simple function if some guys in China can offer it for $39.99?

(Sorry if my frustrated tone comes through a little too strong here.)

I'm using Acrobat Professional V 8.0. Upgrading is an option if it solves the problem.

Thank you, dear forum users, in advance, for your time and help!

Ann

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.0, Windows
George_Johnson
Expert
Accepted Answer
Yes, you need to enable usage rights to enable the measuring tool in Reader. Although Acrobat cannot be used to add usage rights in a batch process, Adobe's LiveCycle Reader Extensions server product can.
George_Johnson
Expert
Also, you just need to enable the document for commenting and analysis, as opposed to any additional usage rights that selecting (Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader) in Acrobat provides.The pricing for LiveCycle Reader Extensions is based on what you intend to use it for. The license is likely less expensive to just enable commenting and analysis than if you wanted to enable more.
Dimitri
Expert
Hi AnnStark,

1. Yes you do need to Enable the PDFs in order to use the Measuring tools in Adobe Reader. Yes, really. In the not so distant past you could not apply any rights (Enable) to a PDF at all. Reader was considered a "reader" only(hence the name), not an interactive application like Acrobat is- and which of course is also a large source of revenue for Adobe. Over the last few years Adobe have added more and more rights to allow Adobe Reader to do more, but only IF someone who paid for Acrobat applied rights to it. And if you search around you will find there are restrictions placed on those rights too (it is all spelled out in the Acrobat EULA.

2. LiveCycle is a product line consisting of a large number of server products and LiveCycle Designer. LiveCycle Designer is a form design tool application, period. In order to Rights Enable a bunch of PDFs at once you need to purchase the "LiveCycle Reader Extension Server" (many thousands of dollars). That is one reason why you cannot Batch Enable in Acrobat- that would drain sales from that server product.

3. The LiveCycle product line is a set of server products for doing all sort so high level, enterprise class handling of forms and form workflows. If you purchased all of it I'm sure the price tag would be in the millions. It is mostly used by large enterprise companies with high volume needs. LiveCycle Designer is only a form design application so it can't apply Enabling Rights in a Batch Process.

4. I don't know if that product you mentions works or not, but I do know that there are companies, and countries, who do not have a good track record of respecting intellectual property rights.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri
www.pdfscripting.com
www.windjack.com

JF
A question for some of the pros. If Ann Stark updated her Acrobat 8 to Acrobat X, would it be possible to create an Action to speed up the process of enabling reader rights? Would this save her time?

AnnStark
Thanks for taking time to answer the questions!
George_Johnson
Expert
JF wrote:
A question for some of the pros. If Ann Stark updated her Acrobat 8 to Acrobat X, would it be possible to create an Action to speed up the process of enabling reader rights? Would this save her time?
No, in any version of Acrobat the process of adding usage rights is a manual one.

AnnStark
Oh Danggit. Newbie mistake. I thought I could accept more than one answer.... They all helped. sorry sorry.
rbogie
AnnStark, if you are interested in having this done efficiently and in short order, please contact me via email thru my profile on AUC.
witwall
Why not contact that Chinese guy to ask a demo to try it? I think you can get the positive answer.
The demo does need any payment, but have some limit.
Good Luck.