These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Very Slow Scrolling (Acrobat Pro 8.1.3)

i_love_adobe

I have a PDF that is very slow to scroll, especially across page boundaries. It has some large images, but my computer should easily be able to handle them, and the entire PDF file is only 2 MB in size. I have a very fast workstation with an NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 256 MB CAD grade graphics card, and dual (yes, two processors) Xeon 5160 3GHz processors, with 4 GB of RAM, running XP Pro... I don't think it's my hardware. I can also see that one my CPU cores is taxed 100% while scrolling.

I can't find very much info on others with slow scrolling speeds. Very slow scrolling over here, about 1 page every 2-3 seconds.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.1.2, Windows
radzmar
Expert
Mind of, that the PDF is a compressed file, so the file size on the hard drive does not allow conclusions to the really data size of the file.
You may have a look into the taskmanager to check the memory usage of your Acrobat before and after opening the form.
Images can increase the memory needs rapidly.

There is an option in Acrobat to optimize the PDF's.
This sometimes can solve the delays of the scroll function.

radzmar
LoveCycle Blog
Documents you need:
LiveCycle Designer ES2 Docs

i_love_adobe
According to Task Manager, Acrobat is using 200 MB when I scroll through this particular document, leaving me with 2.5 GB to spare, so it isn't a RAM issue.

I tried a couple of things:

--PDF Optimization--
Under ADVANCED-->PDF OPTIMIZER, I optimized the PDF for images and fonts. This sped up scrolling a little, but not much.--Page Display Preferences--
Under EDIT->PREFERENCES->PAGE DISPLAY, I deselected "Use 2D GPU Acceleration," and selected "Use page cache," and "Use smooth scrolling." These changes really sped up scrolling! For some reason, when "Use 2D GPU Acceleration" is checked, scrolling speed seriously suffers (say that ten times). I have the latest drivers for my graphics card, so I'm not sure why this would cause scrolling to slow down.This one document is the only PDF I've ever opened that had such slow scrolling. I'm guessing it was a MS Word document, with tons of images (and a watermark), that wasn't converted/optimized properly. I can navigate through everything else almost instantly.
dcraig
I found a service running that seemed to be causing the problem. That service is Trusted Drive Manager by Wave Systems Corp. and the filename is tdmservice.exe. After disabling that service, and then uninstalling the software (it came preinstalled from Dell), the problem was resolved.