These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Cannot create PDF from Word 2007 with WMF or EMF images

gamiddleton
Answered

I am having trouble creating PDF from Word 2007 with images.

If the image is a JPEG, everything is fine.

If the image is WMF or EMF, then the "Create PDF" button produces a PDF file which completely omits the image.

If instead I print to the "Adobe PDF" printer, it works, but I don't get any bookmarks in the output file.

Any ideas? Thanks...

gamiddleton
Update: if the image contains text, then the text renders correctly, in the correct position, but the graphics elements in the image are still missing.

This is in Acrobat Pro 9.
abhigyan
Expert
Can you post a sample file that demonstrates the problem?
daka630
Expert
Accepted Answer
Hi,
Could you go to *.png, *.tif or *.jpg for the images?
From browsing Adobe's webspace it looks as if WMF/EMF may not be the most desirable graphic format for transfer to PDF.

From various locations :

Quote:
Windows Metafile Format (WMF) and Windows Enhanced Metafile Format (EMF) are native Windows formats used primarily for vector graphics, such as clip art, shared between Windows applications. Metafiles may contain raster image information. Color support is limited to 16‑bit RGB, and neither format supports color separations. Metafile formats are not an ideal choice for commercially printed or [i]online documents[/i]; they provide acceptable quality only when printed on low-resolution or non-PostScript printers from a Windows desktop.
Quote:
Fonts inWMF or EMF graphics may be substituted, or the text may print at the wrong sizeMost applications that create WMF or EMF graphics assume that the graphics will remain on the system on which they were created, thereby having access to the same font list. Most WMF or EMF graphics do not include font names or descriptions; they may contain only the font number, as it appeared in the list of fonts on the system at the time the graphic was created. If you remove or install fonts, or if you print the metafile graphic from another computer, the font number included in the graphic may refer to the wrong font.
-| Window's metafiles aren't handled directly by the PostScript driver.
-| They are passed to the Windows GDI (graphic device interface)
for conversion to Postscript.
-| The GDI & the PostScript driver use different internal scales for conversion.
-| When the PostScript driver maps GDI information to the rest of the page
the image often must be bigger.
-| This can result in parts of the graphic disappearing.

See TechNote 328541.
While the TechNote addresses printing from PageMaker, the discussion of the limitations of WMF & EMF are worth understanding.
[url]http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=328541[/url]

Also, anytime MS Word is being used to provide output PDFs this TechNote is a good information resource:
[url]http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=330729[/url]

Be well...

Be well...

warmonga
Hello there,

I got the same issue as gamiddleton. Until now I was thinking that a vector format like EMF or WMF would be best for creating vector scalable PDFs.

Obviously it it not. But what would then be the best format for graphics to include them into DOCX-files for later PDF creation? As far as PDF creation is concerned everything from the Word PDF Export Add-In to Adobe Professional 9 would be fine with me. I just don`t know which graphics format to use within my Word Document.

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
Kai
journey51
I'm having trouble too trying to create a PDF with bookmarks from a Word 2007 file that has EMF/WMF images. I was able to do this in Acrobat 8 Pro, but not so far with 9 Pro. Yes, I can change them into JPF or PNG images, but they lose quality. Thank you in advance for any help. :-)

Cheers...