These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Hyperlink conversion problem Acrobat Pro 8.0/9.0

mbolling

I am converting a MS Word 2003 document to PDF using Acrobat Pro 8.0. I have a multitude of URLs embedded within text as links to online/local resources within the document. 98% of the URL links convert just fine. There seems to be no pattern to the 2% that do not convert. It is as if there are "dead areas" where things won't convert URLs. I have tried converting it using Acrobat Pro 9.0. I have tried copying and pasting URLs that worked within the same document into the area where it did not previously. I have tried deleting a whole section and retyping.

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.0, Windows
daka630
Expert
Hi,
Just me nattering; but -

Can you provide a copy of the MS Word file for a look over?
Acrobat.com provides free accounts and the file can be placed there.
A link to the file can be posted to this thread.

If the MS Word file is large perhaps breaking out smaller files would help.
(i.e., a single file spanning a "chapter" might be segmented into individual section files).

Do any of the links contain space characters? These should always be avoided; particularly in URL links.

If the output PDFs go to a Unix box pay close attention to character case usage in the links.

In PDF links are placed within a rectangular box that lies over the page content.
If, in the authoring file, the placed link is a single character then in the PDF the "link box" will be very small.
The indicated link text in the page content will not have the rectangle overlying the indicated link text string.
Using an output PDF, increase the page magnification and bring up the Link tool. Link "boxes" will display their boundaries.
Are any very small or just showing what looks to be a single vertical line?
If so, go back to the Word file and ensure the Hypertext is placed adequately over the desired link related text string.

As always, check the dot release of the Acrobat in use. If not already done, process each incremental update.
Acrobat 8 is at 8.1.6 and Acrobat 9 is at 9.1.3.

Be well...

Be well...