These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Missing PDFmaker Unable to find Printer - 8 Pro Version (8.1.2)

NicoleW
Answered

This only affects converting power point docs. Word and Publisher files convert fine.

First of all the Adcrobat tab at the top of power point doc page has went awol. Just gone?

The only way to try and convert is right click on file - save as...

When trying to convert power point to pdf (word and pub docs convert fine?) I get the error:

Missing PDFmaker files
Would you like to run in repair mode?

After several attempts - I say Sure! - run in repair mode. It pops a window - installing acrobat 8.1.3 After 33 minutes the program closes and nothing has changed.

So I try it again and I get:
Unable to find PDF Printer or Acrobat Distiller
Do you want to run the insaller in repair mode?

I do ---same results ---Nothing

I also went directly to Adobe opened and tried repair mode...ran finished up - restarted - no change.

I am the last person who should be looking for any files etc - deleting or adding anything...I am lost.

Im ready to uninstall and do a complete re-install ---because thats about the only thing I do know how to do.

I have not touched any files in the lines of deleting critical files etc...I just dont do that.

Can anyone shed any light?

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro 8.0, Windows
gkaiseril
Expert
Micro$oft Office by default disables the PDF Maker and you have to enable it.

Micro$oft for Office 2007 has a "Save PDF" plugin available from Micro$oft.

George Kaiser

NicoleW
gkaiseril wrote:
Micro$oft Office by default disables the PDF Maker and you have to enable it.Micro$oft for Office 2007 has a "Save PDF" plugin available from Micro$oft.
Im not sure where I would go to look to see if it was somehow disabled in pptx? It is working fine in all other officeprograms?

I downloaded the Save PDF plugin - no change.
NicoleW
I found these questions in a similar post and thought if I post my answers - this info it may be useful to those trying to assist?

(1.) Do you still have an older version of Acrobat on your computer in addition to Acrobat 8?
(Nicole Answers: Looks like the free reader is installed?)

(2.) What OS are you using? (Windows XP, Vista, or Mac)
(Nicole Answers: XP)

(3.) Do you know how to inspect the systems registry?
(Nicole Answers: Nope.)

(4.) Do you know how to Deactivate Acrobat 8.0?
(Nicole Answers: Nope.)

Reasons for questions:

(1.) You cannot have more than one registered version of Acrobat on your computer. Older versions must be totally uninstalled.

(2.) Windows Vista is not compatible with Acrobat 8.o until it is updated with the new Vista patch whic can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.

(3.) You must be absolutely certain that when you uninstall Acrobat for reinstallation, all reference to Acrobat must be removed from the system registry.

( 4.) You can not re-install Acrobat if it has not be deactivated before it is uninstalled.
NicoleW
Okay ---I guess I live with this?

If I go to print and choose PDF as the printer - it will save a copy? The tab for acrobat is no longer atthe top of the application like in the rest of the office applications...no idea where it went or why it chose to leave me...I hope it's happy.

Thanks for your offers to assist ---guess I just have to remember that in ppt - i have to convert differently!
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
You can try this to remove Adobe PDF from the Disabled Items list in Microsoft Office Applications. To remove it from the list you can do the following:
Open the Microsoft Office program.
Go to Help > About [program name].
Click Disabled Items.
Select Adobe PDF from the list and click Enable.
Quit the Microsoft Office program and then restart it.

If this does not correct the problem, here is the link to the [url=http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333235&sliceId=1]PDFMaker troubleshooting guide[/url].

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

NicoleW
Okay - I click the help button it opens the window and lists everything but a Disabled Programs link.

These are my choices:

What's new Getting help
Activating PowerPoint Customizing
File management Creating a presentation
Format slides or presentations Working with graphics and charts
Using templates and masters Deliver, distribute, or publish a presentation
Creating support materials Animation effects
Add sounds or movies Import content from other applications
Import content from other PowerPoint versions Work with photo albums
Review and add comments to a presentation Saving and printing
Collaboration Accessibility
Security and privacy Working in a different language
Add-ins Macros
Quizzes PowerPoint Demos
Training Professionally designed PowerPoint templates
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
In the Help menu (not the actual Help files) at the very bottom do you see a menu item called About Microsoft Office Powerpoint? This is where it is in version 2003.

NicoleW
Im using 07 ---it must not be the same - I see nothing like that anywhere.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Thanks for letting me know you use 2007 because it is in a different location:

In PowerPoint: Click the Microsoft Office button (in the upper-left corner). Click the PowerPoint Options button. Choose Add-Ins in the list on the left side of the Options window. Choose Disabled Items in the Manage drop-down menu at the bottom of the Options window. Click Go.

This was taken from the [url=http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403561&sliceId=2]PDFMaker is unavailable in a Microsoft Office 2007 application after you install Acrobat 9 (Windows)[/url] technical note.