These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

PDF creation error: PDFX4 2008.joboptions

Azi

I use FM 9 and have a few paragraphs in Adobe Ming Std L chinese font in the document that I created. We recently upgraded to Acrobat Pro Extended 9 and Distiller 9. Now when I try to create pdf of the same file, the paragraphs with the chinese fonts are replaced with empty boxes. I receive the error:
Adobe PostScript software version: 3018.101
Adobe PDF Settings file read error in PDFX4 2008.joboptions:
/CheckCompliance out of range

I've checked the fonts and the chinese font is included in the distiller settings. The settings job option that i use is the same that worked with previous releases and it is set up to include: Embed All Fonts.

Can someone help address this issue?

Thanks
- Azi

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro Extended 9.2, Windows
Azi
Thank you for your quick reply.

The last writer who successfuly created a pdf of the file used FM 8, Acrobat Professional 8, and Distiller 8. As a new person on-board with the group here, my system was upgraded to release 9 for these apps. So to answer your questions 1 and 2, FM 8 was used with Arobat Pro 8 and Distiller 8 and the chinese fonts were displaying fine in pdf output.

I have applied all of the updates for FM 9 and Acrobat 9 on my system. The OS I have is Windows XP, 5.1.2600 Service pack 3 Build 2600. I did a system check for upgrades to Windows and there was no mention to need to upgrade for a hotfix for PostScript printing. Most of the patches were for Windows security.

I hope I was able to answer your questions so you can further help.

- Azi
Azi
I downloaded and ran the hotfix. I recreated the pdf for the file and the fonts are still not displaying. In reading some of the blogs, there seem to be a problem with Distiller 9 not being compatible with PDFX4. Is there a way to change the setting for the output to bypass this format?
Azi
Yes, I rebooted after the hotfix.
I removed the FNTCACHE.DAT file as you instructed and restarted. After I recreated the pdf, there is no change in the chinese font display. The text is replaced with boxes (unknown characters?).
I ran the Preflight report and can send the file if there is a way to attach it to this message. The results indicate PDF document is not compliant with PDF/X-4.
- Azi
Azi
I checked the box and the problem is solved. I wanted to thank you for your help and time.
- Azi
globalynx
Thanks so much for this informative thread. When I had FrameMaker 8 and Acrobat 8 (TCS1), I never got any errors, let alone this one. Since the installation of TCS2, with Frame 9, Acrobat 9 Extended AND Photoshop, this error popped up with my first Convert to PDF. I selected the checkbox you specified (convert CYMK/RBG setting) and while I still get the error, the conversion process does successfully complete. Hurrah! Upon completion, I get the following Frame message:

[path]\[filename.pdf]:
Save as PDF failed to post-process the PDF file for Reflow: Unable to save the reprocessed PDF file.
The PDF file should be intact and usable but may not reflow properly. Check that the destination PDF file is not in use or its permissions, then Save as PDF again. If the problem persists, please contact Adobe Technical Support.

FWIW.

Thanks!
Brutuss
There error message you receive when Adobe is processing the pdf file (Save as .pdf) is only an error message; annoying, yes, but still ONLY a message; the pdf will still continue to build. Close the error message box and wait... Granted the bug causes the software to take a long time, but it doesn't prevent it (mine takes about 4 minutes depending on the file size and the graphics involved.

Checking the CYMK/RGB convert box does nothing but speed the process somewhat. It may seem like it is fixing the problem, but it's only a coincidence. Checking this box does, however, causes another error message to pop up instead - so it's a trade-off. The urban legend about this check box is that it causes some type of compatibility with [or reversion to] Frame 8; pure nonsense! Acrobat has used the same pdf port drivers/converters for years - it's simple driver software. This is an Acrobat issue and has NOTHING to do with FrameMaker whatsoever!

Look! Just be patient -- your pdf will generate, give it time. The problem is in the postscript (.ps) and Adobe has "supposedly" solved the problem with a patch for CS5, which will probably cause other issues.

Oh, and if you've been told NOT to remove previous versions of Acrobat... LIES! Before installing Acrobat 9 Pro Extended, REMOVE ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF ACROBAT AND DISTILLER. Keeping previous versions will only cause printer port conflicts because previous versions of Acrobat and Distiller don't let go of their port assignments in the registry easily.

And be careful of the "Sticky Fingers" virus (validated July 2010). Acrobat 9 Pro Extended security protocols are very susceptible to it.

cheers!