These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

PDFMaker Never Completes - Acrobat 9 Pro Extended and Outlook 2003

ghanson59
Answered

Windows 7 x64
Outlook 2003 SP3
Acrobat 9 Pro Extended

When I try to convert the selected message to PDF I am asked where to save the file then the conversion activity window pops up. But the conversion never begins and the window just stays up forever. When I click cancel I am asked if I really want to cancel PDFMaker.
PDFMaker works correctly in the other Office components (Word, Excel, etc.) just not in Outlook.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Greg

My Product Information:
Acrobat Pro Extended 9.3.1, Windows
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Have you tried Repairing your Acrobat installation?

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

ghanson59
Yes, I've run Repair on both Acrobat and Outlook to no avail.
pgrazide
Same issue. Seems to have stopped after a recent Adobe update. Works in Word and Excel, but not Outlook. I use PDFMaker to preserve the imbedded links.
spijkerman
Same issue here
Windows XP sp 3
Outlook 2003
Acrobat standard 9.3.4

lkassuba
ExpertTeam
We've replicated the problem and it appears that the issue was introduced after installing the recently posted Microsoft security update KB2293428.

spijkerman
Lori, it is great to see you have been able teo recreate the problem. I am by no means an expert but reading through the MS security update info it appears these uodates are important so I am reluctant to remove the patches in order to get PDFmaker functionality to work. Can I expect Adobe to come out with a patch to adress this issue?

Thanks in advance PJ Spijkerman
ghanson59
Good sleuthing, Lori, and thanks for the update.
I guess we'll wait for Microsoft to fix the problem created by the fix they created trying to fix the problem created... ;-D
dachudzik
I have the same problem. I have resolved it by simply using the print function instead. You can select Adobe PDF from your list of available printers and "print" to an Adobe PDF file -- the outcome is the same.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
FYI - Microsoft is working on a solution to this issue.

spijkerman
Just as additional info

Windows XP sp 3
Outlook 2003
Acrobat standard 9.3.4

My environment as described in my previous post, but one important additional observation. On my one physical machine exist 2 users both using the same software products and existing within the same hard, soft,ware and fix level environments. But one environment is Outlook203 - exchange (SBS2003) enabled, and is the environment where above mentioned problem persists. The other environment is Outlook2003 POP enabled, no exchange nor SBS2003. In this environment pdfmaker continues to work as designed (ie directly from within from Outlook).

Hope somebody resolves this. Yes accepted the print fucntion as a workaround but leaves important functions lacking like url inclusion etc etc

Thnaks for the help
ghanson59
My system is also tied into an exchange server. Good observation, PJ.
abhigyan
Expert
Microsoft has published a hotfix for this issue. We have been told that the fix would also be incorporated in the next update to Outlook 2003.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2445403

-abhigyan@adobe