These forums are now Read Only. If you have an Acrobat question, ask questions and get help from one of our experts.

Very slow Acrobat 8.1.1 pdf creation from PowerPoint 2007 running Vist

gmazur

I just upgraded to a new Sony Vaio running Vista Business 32, with PowerPoint 2007 and Acrobat 8.1.1. Distilling PowerPoint files that used to take 20 minutes now take 1 hour, and file size has increased from 3MB to 12MB. This is unacceptable performance. Any idea and suggestions, please?

rfuller
These instructions are for XP. Not sure in Vista.

Go into your Printers. Right click on the Adobe PDf printer and left click on Priinting Preferences. Go to Paper Quality and click on the Advanced button. Under the Graphic section is Print Quality. Reduce the DPI. The default is 1200DPI which is fine if you are dealing in high quality images for press but not necessary for the average user. Try 300DPI and go back up until you get the right balance of speed and quality.
gkaiseril
Expert
You also might want to use the "Screeen" setting option. You should also have the "Create PDF" button and Microsoft has a "Save as PDF" plugin.

George Kaiser

Beverly
Where is the screen setting option?
I am having a similar problem with PPT 2007 when I want to print the Notes Pages. I have lowered the dpi to 600.
I am usinig Acrobat 8.1.2.
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
In Acrobat 8 the screen setting is called "Smallest File Size". You might want to try using different "pre-configured" settings. Under the Adobe PDF menu in PPT select Change Conversion settings and on the Settings tab there is a pull-down next to Conversion Settings:.
Smallest File Size is best suited for on-screen display and is compatible with Acrobat 5. If you don't need Acrobat 5 compatibilty, you can change this and you'll probably gain additional compression.

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

exg
I having trouble converting PowerPoint 2007 (Vista) to Acrobat 8. This message appears....Adobe PDF printer failed to create the PDF file. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Beverly
It is a BUG. Adobe was able to replicate and had the same problem. Log it as a BUG and hope that Acrobat 9 fixes it.
exg
Sorry I'm new at this...Where do I log it as a BUG?
lkassuba
ExpertTeam
Here is the link to [url=http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=1890]Report a Bug[/url].

Lori Kassuba is an AUC Expert and Community Manager for AcrobatUsers.com.

exg
Thank you!
MarvinK
This is still a problem in Acrobat 9--and it isn't simply a resolution (DPI) problem, since the same DPI in earlier versions of PowerPoint had much better performance and smaller size. I think the primary problem is with Microsoft, but I'd like to think Adobe is at least working with Microsoft on the problem.

We've submitted a bug with Microsoft, but I'd be interested in if anyone has found a workaround. It is particularly bad when printing out PowerPoint files in the Notes format. It is bad with the Acrobat 9, the Microsoft PDF generator, and Win2PDF.